Wednesday 30 May 2018

Raid on Entebbe

Jean has planned to walk the 180+ mile UK Coast to Coast path from St Bees to Robin Hood Bay with her friend Moira. Something my knee(s) are no longer up to. (Actually I've never managed more than 3 days walking).

This means I have a 2 week gap to amuse myself with, and avoid being used as a re-supply/support driver (as they are carrying tents and intend wild camping their way across).

I drew up a shortlist of places I would like to go, that involved riding a motorbike.
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Kenya 
It was pretty clear, pretty quickly that Jean also wanted to visit the top two, so the list shortened. The USA is an easy option, maybe too easy, and I have ridden a bike there a few times.

That left Kenya, until a friend pointed out that in Uganda you can ride a bike through the parks. Seeing animals in the wild is much better than in cages and zoos. Riding exposed on a motorbike, and camping in the parks should be an experience.

I would have preferred to rent a bike and self navigate, but as I was going on my own, and maybe there were animals I would have to be wary of, I opted to book on an organised tour with these guys.
Uganda Motorcycle Adventure.

Now I just need to work out how to fit my tent and clothes onto a BMW GS650 Dakar, that has no panniers. (The bike is the only small one, kept light. And I don't want to ride a BMW GS1200) .



No comments:

Post a Comment